Friday, October 27, 2006

My uncle, Jerry McNerney for Congress!

My mom's younger brother Jerry McNerney is running for US congress in California's 11th district, to unseat Pombo, the republican incumbent. I've known Jerry all my life, since he lived in Albuquerque until I was in high school. And I can tell you this: he is a man of integrity. And he's wicked smart, having earned a PhD in Mathematics. When I was a freshman in high school, I had to do a term paper for my math class, and he was instrumental in helping me find source material by leading me through the dusty archives in the University of New Mexico's library. He was always interested in talking about stuff like physics, Shostakovich, or chess. And he's always been interested in renewable energy, particularly wind-generated power. I think he's running for the right reasons: to help make change in a very personal way. He's willing to get involved and serve his constituents and his country by going through what must be a huge personal challenge to get there.

Four years ago, without support of the democratic party, and with only a grass-roots effort, he was able to do very well against Pombo, even though he ultimately lost the election. Now, he has the support of the Democratic party, having won the primary election. Ane he even has endorsements from prominent Republicans such as Pete McCloskey and Tom Benigno. General Wesley Clark has also endorsed Jerry.

Learn more about his campaign effort here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home